30 Days to Family® is an intense short-term intervention developed by the Foster & Adoptive Care Coalition to:
- Increase the number of children placed with relatives when they enter the foster care system
- Ensure natural and community supports are in place to promote stability for the child.
The program model features two major elements: family finding and family support interventions.
Current 30 Days to Family® Ohio counties include: Allen, Clark, Cuyahoga, Fairfield, Hamilton, Highland, Montgomery, Stark, and Summit.
Children who have been victims of abuse and neglect do better when they can remain with kin, within their community and connected to their culture. Research demonstrates kinship care increase:
- Placement stability
- Identity formation
- Contact with family
- Living with siblings
- Caregiver tolerance for behavioral and mental health issues
Ways Kin Can Support Family
- Community activities
- Emotional support
- Respite Care
- Place 70% of youth with safe and appropriate adult relatives
- Identify at least 80 relatives per case
- Identify at least one backup placement for 75% of youth served